For Today. . .

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Identity Crisis


This is a delightful button, don't you agree? If you could hold it in your hand you would see a fire in its opal-like belly.  You would look it over and maybe call it a butterfly (as I did).

"What a beautiful butterfly," I thought, "or maybe not!"  Where are its antennae?  What about its wings not being a distinct pair? What about its body? Maybe it is stylized, the product of artistic license. Hmmmmm.

It's times like that that I wish my neighbor knew about buttons and maybe I would invite her over for a cup of coffee and an opinion.  Now, that would be convenient!

All I can tell you for sure about this one is that it is beautiful and people who know buttons and looked at this picture online are not sure about its genus and species -- or if it represents a living creature at all.

Oh, and there is one other thing: the filigree "wing" at the top of the picture is damaged. See the tiny ends that are disconnected?  I didn't even notice that until someone pointed it out. Once I heard about the flaw, another look brought the damaged area immediately into view. The trained eye always amazes me.

What I like best about this button is imagining my aunt holding it in her hand. She had a particular way of holding something that she wanted to study. And she had a certain joyful look on her face when she studied something beautiful.  Whether it was a hooked rug, a quilt, a piece of glassware, a painting, a polished stone, a button, or any other thing that could be felt, seen, heard, or smelled -- if it was beautiful -- she appreciated it immensely.

I think she didn't really have to know all about it to enjoy it. If it was beautiful, it had a place in her heart. That is the way I feel about this -- uh, butterfly (?)

1 comment: