For Today. . .

Saturday, June 26, 2010

A Far Greater Designer.

A "carved pearl". Ordinary, but extraordinary! No beach-comber has ever found anything like this obviously designed and executed button. It is the product of a talented artist! Just the right shell was chosen and this piece was formed -- attractive to the eye, but with a utilitarian purpose.  Do you wonder (as I do) how many attempts were made before this item was completed without any chips or gouges? Personally, I admire the precision and the creativity of the artisan who designed this. While it doesn't have a great deal of monetary value, it still deserves admiration -- and a second glance if nothing more. I wish you could hold this in your hand, tilt it in the light, and enjoy the riot of color that appears before your eyes!

The shell buttons are among my favorites because they are natural materials. I also like them because I can imagine such items before they were touched by a human hand --  products of a far greater designer, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment