For Today. . .

Monday, April 19, 2010

Aunties Buttons


This is a picture of my mom and my aunt (on the right) taken in 2008. They both developed a passion for all things beautiful, but my aunt had a particular place in her heart for buttons. Wherever she went across the United States and Canada, she was "on the hunt" for more little treasures to add to her collection. She frequented flea markets, yard sales, antique shops, and even asked artisans displaying their wares, "do you make buttons?"


Some of her stories are in my head. Some are found in hints and labels on the backs of her carded buttons. Others are written here and there in note pads. But her wealth of knowledge and experience are mostly no longer available to us since she died of pancreatic cancer almost a year ago.


I call her little treasures "Auntie's Buttons" out of love for her. The stories I share here are in her honor.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a sweet and loving anecdote
    Brenda. I think it's wonderful your selling her buttons on WWs...I've got
    some nice buttons from you at good prices...and I'm sure your cousins are
    very thankful. I especially like your
    story because, it let's me know who I
    bought the buttons from you could say.
    I'm sorry you lost her Brenda.
    I'm so glad this is in your blog.

    ReplyDelete