For Today. . .

Friday, April 23, 2010

Truth Claims

When you were a child did anyone ever say something like this to you: "Just because you read something or see it on TV doesn't mean it is true."

Sometimes I wish I could believe something that I see or hear, but it is just too questionable. This card of buttons represents one of those times. Just about all I can say for sure is that this group of buttons is interesting!

Just this winter I found this card of buttons in a box that I had bought from my aunt several years ago. She had sold a large portion of her button collection to dealers who traveled here to Maine for that very purpose. I bought what was left for a lump sum that was less than I offered and more than she asked.

This is one of the times I WISH I could believe everything that I read. On this card of buttons is a note that is unsigned and undated (but not in my aunt's handwriting). It says, "These buttons are from the estate of Sarah Roosevelt, Mother of late President Franklin D. Roosevelt". It is, in my mind, unverifiable anecdotal evidence. I cannot know if it is true or not.

The whole idea of truth is a lot bigger than a card of buttons. But this experience has served as a reminder that truth isn't relative and that knowing and acting on the truth is liberating. "You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free."  (Words of Jesus from the Gospel of John)

No comments:

Post a Comment