For Today. . .

Monday, April 26, 2010

Rare Realistic Button

Sorting my aunt's buttons is a real adventure for me, since in most ways I am learning about buttons as I go. When I first found this one, my initial reaction was not to show him in public because he is from a very sad chapter in our history. Ultimately, though, we have to realize that history is history.  From the first settlements that led to this Union, there is so much to make us proud. But we have, also, things in our past that we would rather forget. Of course, that is true of all of us individually -- not just government, but you and me, too!  With that line of thinking, I began to look at him for his historical relevance.  As I pondered over this button, I decided at first to investigate him, find a fair price, and buy him from my cousins to keep in my own, little collection. But as I began to look into this button, I couldn't find one like it anywhere. So I asked the Button Bytes members and found that I cannot afford to keep him. It turns out, so far, that nobody has ever seen this little realistic celluloid button and cannot remember it in any book or bulletin. One individual has this one made from glass, but not the celluloid. The initial reaction from those who know more about buttons than I is that he is very rare. It is estimated that he is probably from the 1930s or early 1940s when Minstrel Shows were popular. So here you are! If you have never seen this one before -- now you have. I wonder where my aunt found him and how much she paid for him. This one had no labels or notes with him. So he's pretty much a mystery. When I found him, he was just there smiling up at me. And I smiled back because my first impression of him was that he is special.

No comments:

Post a Comment